Capital Airlines - formed in 1927 as the Skyline Transportation Co. to fly mail services between Pittsburgh and Cleveland, in 1936 the company became known as the Pennsylvania Central Airways (PCA) and served the northern and eastern states of the USA. In April 1948, PCA was renamed Capital Airlines and by this time had become one of the largest domestic passenger carriers in the USA. On 6 October 1946 Capital ordered three second hand 049s from Lockheed, followed by a further two on 28 December 1948 to replace DC-4s. A further seven Connies, this time 749s, had been bought from KLM via Lockheed on 1 April 1951.
The 749s were, however, used only for a few years before exchanged with BOAC for 049's in 1955. From July 1956 Viscounts started taking over the more important routes from the 049s. During 1957, the 049s were phased out on most of the their remaining routes. By mid 1958, six of the 049s were in storage and in August 1960, the last services with the 049s were operated by Capital on Washington to Cleveland and Detroit route, and the remaining aircraft were then placed in storage. United Air Lines took over Capital on 1 June 1961.
August 50 - August 58
Nice shot taken 1950, Zoggavia Collection
Bought from BOAC, ex G-AMUR in April 1955 as N2739A FN 759. Stored by 1960 and sold to Modern Air Transport August 1961 (TT 31686hrs.) but never operated by MAT.
Unknown US airport in 1956, Zoggavia Collection.
Bought from BOAC, ex G-AHEJ in 28 May 1955 as N2740A FN 760. Stored by 1960 and leased to Coastal Cargo, later stored until sold to Falcon Airways January 1961 (TT: 32'180 hrs on sale).
Bought from BOAC, ex G-AMUP in 26 March 1955 as N2740A FN 760. Stored by 1960 and sold to Falcon Airways January 1961 (TT: 30'611 hrs on sale).
Bought from BOAC, ex G-AHEM in 11 October 1954 as N2735A FN 755. Crashed on landing in light rain at Kanawha airport , Charleston, WV on 12 May 1959.
Content copyright . zoggavia.com. All rights reserved.